A Brief History
Although First Baptist Church enjoys a new campus, it has a long history of God’s faithful blessing in Allegan.
As people of Baptist origins moved into the area in the 1830’s they met to worship and fellowship in homes. In 1841 they approached the nearby Plainfield Church for help in forming their own church. At this time they had thirty-six members recorded with H. Munger as their pastor.
On April 18, 1841, with twenty people in attendance, the first complete service of the infant church was held by celebrating the Baptismal Ordinance and the Ordinance of the Lord’s Supper. At the regular Covenant Meeting on May 15, 1841 the First Baptist Society of Allegan was legally organized as a Baptist Church and Society.
Because of the need to expand the facilities, the present 45,000 square foot facility was dedicated on 62 acres of land on October 2, 2001 under the ministry of Pastor Jim Turner.
God continued his faithfulness to our church during the ministry of Pastor Greg Carlson. In 2011, during pastor Greg’s tenure, we burned the 2001 mortgage and celebrated 170 years of God’s blessing here at FBC Allegan.
Most recently we acknowledged God’s call of Pastor Nathan Smith. We are trusting God to continue to use us in Allegan County and around the world.